On November 3, 1992, 64% of the voters approved Proposition A, successfully establishing:
- The Los Angeles County Regional Park and Open Space District (RPOSD) as a special district whose boundary is coterminous with the Los Angeles County boundary;
- This same geographic area of RPOSD as the benefit assessment district area;
- The Board of Supervisors of the County of Los Angeles shall act, ex officio, as the governing body of the RPOSD – all powers and authority of the District shall be vested in the Board of Supervisors in its capacity as RPOSD’s Board of Directors;
- The term for the assessment at 22 years; and
- The specific projects and competitive grant programs to be funded.
All in all, the 1992 Proposition funded $540 million dollars for the acquisition, development, rehabilitation, protection and restoration of beach, wildlife, park and natural lands, tree-planting, gang prevention and intervention, and improvement of recreation facilities for youth and senior citizens within the County.